Sunday, August 16, 2009

Why the Gnomes?

So, what's up the gnomes. Why gnomes? It started back in college when I moved into a single dorm my sophomore year. My folks and I where shopping at Target for various items and I stumbled upon this unpainted, solid cement gnome. It was quirky and I knew it'd be fun to have in the dorms. And that's the moment when my affinity for gnomes started.

My first gnome:
The gnome became a great conversation piece. He went through the remaining three years of college with me. When I started dating M in college, my now hubby, a girlfriend and I got on a kick that he needed his own gnome. And we though that this was a terrific gift idea for Valentine's Day. My friend Molly and I ran all over the city to find a gnome. We found two gnomes but couldn't decide between the two so M got both. Lucky him.
The gnome story continues when I had to undergo surgery in college, during finals week/graduation weekend. My friends and parents sat around the waiting room writing a story. The central character was a gnome. They each took turns and the difference in handwriting is visible in the hard copy. (The full gnome story will be a future post.)
After college, we moved away from our close network of friends but the "gnome thing" did not die down. For Christmas one of my best gal pals from college sent me a gnome --it's the gnome wearing the swimsuit. She also has painted me pictures of His and Hers gnomes. Too funny.
Later, for my birthday I got a gnome garden sprinkler. My hubby's family know of my gnome affinity and have given me gnome goodies as well. Including a great coffee table book of gnomes, gnome garden stakes and even gnome playing cards.
Gnomes have kept the conversation going and the laughter rolling. And as I've started this blog and share the story of why I'm lugging a gnome with me, the giggles continue. I mean, how can you not laugh. They're ridiculous.
With two of the gnomes at the neighbors, I brought my first gnome to a friend's house where we played volleyball for hours. It was a great match up. We had five on five and skill level was equal. There were so many good volleys - it was a great workout and tons o' fun.
After all the play, we celebrated with a DQ Thin Mint Blizzard cake. Anytime I can work in Thin Mint ice cream into my weekend, I will. I love this stuff!
Be good. Do good.

No comments:

Post a Comment