Thursday, August 13, 2009

Julie & Julia

I had a girls night out last night and saw the movie Julie and Julia. If you enjoy cooking or Meryl Streep, this is a must see film. I enjoy both so I LOVED it! I left the theater wanting to try what seems to be a signature dish from the movie:

Beef Bourguignon


Wow - the time required to make this beautiful dish is more than I usually allocate. I give a meal 30 minutes. If I can't whip it up within that time frame, I'm over it. There are so many great recipes that can be made at 30min. I'm too hungry when I come home from work. And when I'm hungry, that's when I grab a piece of chocolate to tide me over--not good.

I may leave this recipe as a fun thing to do with friends on a Saturday. It needs to cook for 3-4 hours, can you guess the amount of wine you'd go through just waiting for it to be done? If you want the adventure: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=8222804

In the meantime, here's what's for dinner in this house. Almond-encrusted tilapia with a side of white wine cheese risotto.

Almond-Crusted Tilapia
1 cu sliced or slivered, unsalted almonds; finely chopped
1/4 cu plain bread crumbs
2 T brown sugar
1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg with 1 T water
1/4 cu flour
4-6 tilapia fillets
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degree.
Spray large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and set aside

In food processor, combine almonds, bread crumbs, brown sugar, Old Bay seasoning and salt. Pulse until almonds are finely chopped and all ingredients are incorporated.

In small bowl, beat egg and water in bowl.

Place flour on a plate.

Set up your assembly line to dip the fish in order: flour, egg, and nut/bread crumb mixture, and then on baking sheet.

Before you dip, season fillets with salt and pepper, then coat lightly with flour on both sides. Dip the fish in the egg mixture (this coating really grabs the nut/bread crumbs), then finally coat evenly with the nut mixture.

Place each fillet on the baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 15 min.

Side suggestions:
Serve with steamed baby carrots (tossed with brown sugar and melted butter)
OR
A fabulously easy to make risotto mixes from Target. I love the Archer Farms line of side dishes. (Side note: their Cilantro Lime rice tastes just like Chipotle)

Be good. Do good.


1 comment:

  1. I'm the same way...too hungry to spend hours making something. but all the hype of the beef Bourguignon dish, I may have to try it one weekend day were I can cook dinner at lunch time. :)

    ReplyDelete