Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Cupcake History

I've picked up decorating cupcakes as a hobby. For Christmas I got the book, Hello Cupcake. It's a great book and recommend it for inspiration. There's a mix of beginners and advanced decorating ideas. Here's a history of the cupcakes I've created previously:

Beach cupcakes


Crushed graham crackers are the sand, Swedish fish on top, and a frosted graham cracker as a shark fin. The book says to use peppermint balls (as beach balls) and cocktail umbrellas to finish it off. I found the umbrellas in time, but had to improvised and made a life preserver ring with a Lifesaver and white frosting.
Puppy Cupcakes

I try to make my cupcakes special for the recipient. For a co-worker's birthday I made her puppy dog cupcakes. She was getting a lab puppy for her birthday, so it was quite fitting.


I rolled out caramels and tootsie rolls for the ears. The eyes were chocolate M&Ms, the snout was a frosted marshmallow with a chocolate jelly belly nose. The mouth was a pink jelly belly.


I Love NYC


This co-worker lives in KC but was working in NYC part-time. I learned a lesson with these cupcakes, apparently not any baking mix will make 24 cupcakes. I used a brownie mix that was in our pantry thinking it would make 24 cupcakes. It turned out nine "cupcakes"---they were really brownies in cupcake liners.


Fishing Cupcakes

These cupcakes were for a co-worker that spends his summer days fishing. The fishing poles were pretzel sticks. I used multi-colored goldfish crackers and picked a white line for fishing line.
I will be making another round of cupcakes for another birthday coming up next week. I'll be sure to post a how-to. First, I gotta figure out what fun cupcakes to make. Any ideas?
Be good. Do good.

No comments:

Post a Comment